Young surfer dies from rare brain-eating amoeba

Young surfer dies from rare brain-eating amoeba

Young surfer dies from rare brain-eating amoeba

The waterpark voluntarily closed Friday as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention test its waters, Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson Kelly Craine told the Waco Tribune-Herald.

'We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'. Preliminary testing results should be ready later next week.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E Parsons Jr. said: 'Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time.

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba which is a single-celled living organism. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri is commonly found in warm freshwater and soil. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC.

The infection can not be passed from person to person and typically occurs during the summer months of July, August and September. Cases due to the use of neti pots and the practice of ablution have been documented.

Only four people of the 143 infected with the amoeba in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

"It only got worse the next day, and when his mother went to check on him, he could not move or speak coherently, and he was rushed to an area hospital, where he was treated for symptoms of meningitis", according to NJ.com. The initial symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting. As the diseases continues to attack the body it can lead to a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]