San Jose Diocese releases names of priests accused of abuse

San Jose Diocese releases names of priests accused of abuse

San Jose Diocese releases names of priests accused of abuse

Shapiro said since the grand jury report was issued, a hotline operated by his office to field reports of child sexual abuse has received almost 1,300 calls.

While Pennsylvania diocesan officials have not commented on the scope of the materials subpoenaed, a senior Church official told CNA the investigation concerns the federal crimes of transporting minors across state lines to abuse them, and the production or distribution of illegal pornography, including electronically. In a statement, the diocese said it "sees itself as a partner with law enforcement in its goal to eliminate the abuse of minors wherever it may occur in society".

Richard Serbin, an Altoona- based lawyer, in 1994 won the first successful civil trial against the Catholic church for clergy sexual abuse in Pennsylvania.

There has been widespread speculation that a federal investigation might focus on charges related to institutional cover-ups or conspiracy, perhaps seeking to build a case under the federal RICO laws meant for dealing with organized crime.

A former Pennsylvania priest, one of hundreds of so-called "predator priests" accused of rampant child abuse in the state, has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a boy and attempting to assault another. A spokesperson for the archdiocese of Chicago said Thursday that it had not received a subpoena from the Department of Justice.

It revealed pervasive abuse of children by priests in the Dioceses of Allentown, Erie, Harrisburg, Greensburg, Pittsburgh and Scranton and a systematic cover up spanning decades by senior church leaders in Pennsylvania.

The shocking grand jury report released in August identified more than 300 predator priests and more than 1,000 underage victims of sexual abuse while exposing a church coverup of the vile behavior.

"In what other institution could you have 500 criminals and not be prosecuted?" asked Lennon, who said he was raped by a Catholic priest when he was a child.

"The archdiocese will cooperate with the United States Department of Justice in this matter", it said.

Pennsylvania is not the only state where federal prosecutors are investigating clergy abuse in the Roman Catholic Church. They say he also abused the boy and attempted to assault another boy at a hunting camp. The practice was implemented in the other six dioceses only after the release in August of the statewide grand jury's report.

The difficulty of making charges stick against higher-ups in the church was illustrated when the Philadelphia district attorney's office brought a landmark coverup case in 2011 against Monsignor William Lynn, a longtime aide to two Philadelphia cardinals.

"This is unprecedented action by the federal authorities to pursue a grand jury for alleged child abuse allegations", said attorney Peter Paul Olszewski.

Plaintiff Darin Buckman said he was sexually assaulted by a priest in the Peoria Diocese between the late '70s and early '80s; he was 8 to 14 years old at the time. He served most of his sentence before the conviction was overturned in 2016 by the state Supreme Court.

SNAP said it had previously called for federal intervention in the aftermath of similar scandals in 2003, 2014 and as recently as two months ago, following the Pennsylvania grand jury report.

In a statement issued shortly after Thursday's press conference, the Archdiocese of Chicago said it had not yet reviewed the lawsuit, but pointed to a list of credibly accused priests that the Archdiocese published in 2006.

The report also led to the resignation last week of Cardinal Donald Wuerl as archbishop of Washington.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]