Wasim & Azam anchor Pakistan to big win in 1st T20

Sarfraz led Pakistan to a tri-series triumph by beating Australia in the final at Harare in July this year and needs to win at least one match to remain at the top of the rankings.

Babar Azam's magnificent unbeaten 68*, complimented by Imad Wasim's haul of 3/20 helped Pakistan get their Twenty20 series against Australia off to a great start with a crushing 66-run win in the first match in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday.

The tourists' run chase was only resurrected by bowlers Ashton Agar (19) and Nathan Coulter-Nile, who scored 34, with the pair helping them avoid their lowest score in Twenty20 global cricket of 79 against England in 2005.

Finch might have regretted his decision to send the hosts in, after winning the toss, with his top six batsmen scoring 21 runs between them.

In a chase of 156, Australia slipped to 22/6 inside the Powerplay as Imad Wasim and Faheem Ashraf wreaked havoc, and it was only through a 38-run stand for the seventh wicket between Ashton Agar and Nathan Coulter-Nile that they were able to recover somewhat.

Australia's sensational powerplay batting collapse was like "watching a vehicle crash in slow motion" according to captain Aaron Finch after his side were dismissed for their third-lowest score in Twenty20 cricket on Wednesday.

"It s pretty embarrassing, to be fair", said Finch. And, the fall of wicket started with Finch's own wicket in the opening over after he gave quite a room against Pakistani bowler Imad Wasim. "I had the responsibility to get us off to a good start and set-up the chase". "I think we were a little bit one-dimensional while batting, but that's a learning experience and I would say Pakistan have got a lot of variety in their bowling". Faheem Ashraf and Shaheen Shah Afridi also picked up two wickets in the fixture.

In the post-match presentation, Australia skipper Aaron Finch rued the batting collapse of Australia. "This team hasn't been together for a hell of a long time and I'm sure in the future we'll be better".

The second and the third matches will be played in Dubai on Friday and Sunday.

It did not stop there as Australia slipped to 22 for 6 in the sixth over and the Abu Dhabi crowd went insane.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]