Police release recent photos of Saudi sisters found dead in NYC river

Police release recent photos of Saudi sisters found dead in NYC river

Police release recent photos of Saudi sisters found dead in NYC river

New York City police said Wednesday that 16-year-old Tala Farea and 22-year-old Rotana Farea were last seen September 24 in Virginia, where they lived, and appear to have traveled together to New York. Prior to their recent disappearance, Tala and Rotana Farea were reported missing in December 2017 when they left their family home and were placed in a shelter.

The Saudi Consulate General said in a statement that embassy officials had contacted their family, and added that the sisters were students "accompanying their brother in Washington".

Tala Farea was 16 years old at the time of her death.

Problems arose for Rotana when she learned her whole family would have to return to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. "It appears to be a suicide pact", the source told the paper.

Police also urged anyone who saw the sisters between August 24 and October 24 - the timeframe of when they were reported missing to when their bodies were discovered - to come forward with information.

Some reports indicate that the older sister, Rotana, may have been living in NY.

Detectives also said the girls' mother had talked to them the day before their bodies were found.

The Farea sisters moved from Saudi Arabia to Fairfax, Virginia, in 2015 with their mother, and had a history of running away from home, according to USA officials.

The girls' movements before their death are not yet clear but police said they had moved to the USA with their mother in 2015, settling in Fairfax, more than 200 miles from where their bodies were found on 24 October. That office also noted that it had "appointed an attorney to follow the case closely".

When their bodies were found last week on the banks of New York's Hudson River, the sisters wore similar black leggings and fur-trimmed jackets, with their feet and waists bound together by duct tape.

But there's still few public details about either sister's past.

The pair were facing each other, fully clothed in the water, and bound together with duct tape. However, there was no trauma to their bodies that would indicate they had jumped from the bridge. "Meet them? See them?"

The two bodies were found on Wednesday at around 3:00pm by a passer-by who informed the police.

The sisters' father has since arrived in NY following news of their death.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]