Last words of Sydney man who died after eating slug for dare

Last words of Sydney man who died after eating slug for dare

Last words of Sydney man who died after eating slug for dare

According to Daily Mail Australia, his last words to heartbroken mum Katie were: "I love you".

As friends make preparations for his funeral, to be held this Thursday, tributes are beginning to flow.

Most people will develop no symptoms at all from ingesting the parasite and will fully recover without treatment.

"The conversation came up, should I eat it? Bang. That's how it happened".

An Australian man whose life was ruined after being dared to eat a slug has died following a long heath battle that left him paralyzed and brain damaged.

Sam has passed away eight years after contracting the infection.

Friends Jimmy Galvin and Michael Sheasby told The Project, in April this year, of the fateful night.

However, shortly after eating it, Sam fell ill and was rushed into hospital.

The Sydney teen didn't get sick immediately but complained of leg pain soon after.

As a result of the parasite, Ballard contracted a type of meningitis tied to rat lungworm, and things went downhill from there.

He ended up falling into a coma for more than a year, and the reason was stunning: He'd been infected with rat lungworm, a parasite usually found in rodents, but which can occasionally end up in snails and slugs if they eat rat excrement. His mother, Katie Ballard, who cared for him full-time, was by his side.

Tragically, Mr Ballard contracted eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis and lapsed into a coma for 420 days, suffering a severe infection to his brain.

He couldn't feed himself and needed help using the bathroom.

Visit INSIDER's homepage for more.

Sam's mother, Katie Ballard has previously spoken out about the incident, saying she didn't blame the boys for their playful dare or her son taking them up on it, and that they were just "being mates". "He spent the afternoon laughing at me as I read him the sports section of the newspaper with new glasses on".

Wilkinson wrote that Katie was a "beautiful angel" who was "never wavering in her love" and "always trying to find the lighter moments so she could see her boy smile again". His mother told him not to worry.

Later, she wrote that "he is still the same cheeky Sam, and laughs a lot" but admitted "it's devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever. The impact is huge".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]