Emergency services arrive at the scene of Strasbourg shooting

Emergency services arrive at the scene of Strasbourg shooting

Emergency services arrive at the scene of Strasbourg shooting

The Telegraph reports, "Border controls have been strengthened and more than 600 people, including police, troops and helicopters were on the heels of the attacker who had "sowed terror" in the city".

Four members of his family, his parents and two brothers remain in police custody in France.

Strasbourg police said an armed person entered the perimeter of the Christmas market by the Corbeau Bridge around 8 p.m., heading toward the Rue des Orfèvres. The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss details of the large and ongoing investigation into the attack that set France on edge anew.

Dozens of French police cordoned off an area in southern Strasbourg on Thursday (Dec 13) where a gunman who opened fire at the city's popular Christmas market was last seen.

He fled the scene and has not been found since.

The government raised the terror alert level nationwide and deployed 1,800 additional soldiers across France to help patrol streets and secure crowded events ahead of the Christmas holiday.

Two of his sisters in Paris were also questioned on Thursday and one of their homes was searched, a judicial source said.

One of those killed was named as Thai national Anupong Suebsamarn, 45, who had been on holiday in France with his wife. At least 12 people were injured, several of them critically.

The attack left three dead and 13 injured, according to the latest toll given by the French authorities. Traffic on the French side was heavily backed up as officers inspected vehicles during the morning rush hour.

From there he could take a train to cross the French-German border in just 5 minutes, reaching the German town of Kehl.

Chekatt was added to a watch list of possible extremists while in prison in France in 2015 after he "called for practicing a radical form of religion", French Deputy Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said Wednesday.

The suspect had previously been wounded by a soldier close to the Christmas market where the shooting took place and police are desperate to track him down.

Responding to the tragedy, believed to be a terrorist attack, on its Facebook, the embassy said it "condemned the gunman who claimed the lives of innocent people".

Cherif Chekatt, 29, has been on the run since the attack at the city's Christmas market.

Witnesses told investigators that the suspect shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is Greater) as he attacked people near the Christmas market, a target Paris Prosecutor Remy Heitz suggested may have been chosen for its religious symbolism. He has 27 criminal convictions for theft and violence.

Neighbors living on the housing estate where Chakatt family's lived described the suspect as a typical young man who dressed in jogging trousers and trainers rather that traditional Islamic robes.

Striving to show he's responding to "yellow vest" protesters' demands for tax relief, the French leader maintained his planned agenda Wednesday: He held his weekly Cabinet meeting and talks with big public and private companies, notably to encourage them to give a tax-free, year-end bonus to their employees.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]