Boy 'dies from smell of cooking fish'

The 11-year-old boy who died after he likely suffered an allergic reaction to the smell of cooking fish gave his father two kisses and told him he loved him before he died, his father said.

On New Year's Day, 11-year-old Camron Jean-Pierre and his family visited his grandmother's house for a special party.

"My son was the best", Steven Jean-Pierre told the Post. The pair entered the home as cod was being prepared for dinner.

It happened on 82nd Street just before 7:30 p.m. EMS was called for a report of an unconscious boy at the Canarsie home.

As he began struggling to breathe, Cameron tried using his nebulizer, but when it had no affect, his family called 911.

He was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital.

The medical examiner's office will determine the exact cause of death. "I tried to give him the CPR and he came back but I wish I knew [how] to keep pumping him because he woke up and I felt his heart and everything".

Cameron Jean-Pierre, 11, shown in this undated photo died on January 1, 2019, after inhaling vapors from salt fish cooking at his grandmother's Brooklyn, New York, home that apparently trigger a fatal asthma attack.

"That was my prince, man", he said. "He was my everything". "Usually he don't get nothing that severe". "In fact, all asthmatics are at higher risk of fatal anaphylaxis of any kind whether it be by ingestion, skin contact or inhalation, and should be more careful". She now wants other parents of children with similar allergies to be aware that inhaling the aroma of fish can be deadly.

Sufferers always have an emergency epinephrine injector to hand, said Parikh. "He loved playing football", she said. "Delay of this medication can be the difference between life or death".

This artice has been updated with comment from Dr. Purvi Parikh.

Jean-Pierre also said Camron had a history of "little panic attacks".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]