Three hurt in Manchester knife attack

Three hurt in Manchester knife attack

Three hurt in Manchester knife attack

Counter-terrorism officers are leading an investigation into an attack in Manchester after three people, including a police officer, were stabbed by a man shouting "Allah" at Victoria station.

Police are continuing their efforts to identify the man apprehended after the attack and are now searching an address in the city's Cheetham Hill area where the suspect is believed to have been living recently.

He was one of three people injured at Manchester Victoria station, with a man and a woman in their 50s also suffering serious but not life-threatening stab wounds.

A police sergeant who was injured in a suspected terror attack on New Year's Eve has said "instinct took over" as he ran towards the knifeman.

The suspect, described as being dressed in black and marauding around the station before the attack at around 9pm, stabbed a couple in their fifties and then stabbed a British Transport Police officer who attempted to intervene.

BTP said they were called at 8.52pm to reports of man with a knife who has been detained.

A house in Cheetham Hill, north Manchester - thought to be his last known address - was searched yesterday by counter-terrorism police.

Video footage of the incident shows him being overpowered by the officers.

The officer, a police sergeant in his 30s, has now been released from hospital, Greater Manchester Police said. It took place at a key transport hub right next to the Manchester Arena, where 22 people were killed in an attack on an Ariana Grande concert in 2017.

Officers tackled and detained a 30-year-old suspect shortly after the attack, police said. "But the city is strong, united and resilient and the way the incident was dealt with by the emergency services and others was exemplary".

Authorities said Tuesday that the incident is being treated as a terrorist attack.

Officials say verifying that the suspect acted alone without a support network is a key objective of the investigation, which is being headed by counterterrorism police.

"We are obviously considering his mental health given how frenzied the attack was, its random nature", he added.

"However, we have been informed by the GMP that there is an active ongoing, terrorist investigation and as such we are limited in what we can say at this stage".

"We believe we have identified the man in custody".

Law-enforcement officers arrested the subject immediately and assessed the possibility of psychological disorders, although they do not rule out terrorist motivations.

The train station reopened on Tuesday and extra police officers were on the city's streets as a precaution.

Police officers stand near a cordon at Manchester Victoria Station, in Manchester following a stabbing.

"That the incident happened so close to the scene of the terrorist attack on 22 May 2017 makes it even more terrible", Hopkins said.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]