Investigative Journalist Ahmed Hussein Shot Dead In Accra Ghana

Investigative Journalist Ahmed Hussein Shot Dead In Accra Ghana

Investigative Journalist Ahmed Hussein Shot Dead In Accra Ghana

Hussein is said to have been part of a crew led by Anas Aremeyaw - an award-winning journalist whose exposés led to the banning of some of Africa's biggest football officials.

Husein was shot in the neck and the chest by unknown gunmen on his way home Wednesday night in the capital Accra, police said.

Anas confirmed Hussein-Suale's death on Facebook, saying: "Sad news, but we shall not be silenced. Rest in peace, Ahmed".

Ranting and shouting into the camera, Agyapong said: "That boy (Ahmed-Hussein) that's very risky, he lives here in Madina". He said that and showed images of him on his tv station, Net 2.

Agyebeng, the lawyer for Tiger Eye PI, told CNN that Hussein-Suale started to receive threats after a member of Ghana's Parliament exposed the undercover reporter's identity on live television and encouraged viewers to attack him.

Security agencies said they launched an investigation into the killing. In law this is abetment of crime'.

Ghana is generally considered a safe country for journalists.

Violence against the press is rare in Ghana.

RSF has previously condemned threats against Anas after he revealed "threatening calls, intimidatory messages and suspicious vehicles near his home".

The journalists' projects have sometimes exposed prominent and powerful figures and their biggest scoop came a year ago with FIFA Council member Kwesi Nyantakyi.

The reporter, whose other exposés have lifted the lid on graft in the judicial system, is distinctive for wearing hats and face coverings to hide his identity.

As a result of the scandal, the entire Ghana Football Association was shut down by Ghana's President Nana Akufo-Addo.

Ghanaian police have not responded to repeated CNN calls about the killing.

On Thursday, the International Press Institute condemned Hussein-Saule's murder, saying it "underscores the grave danger that journalists, especially those who tackle corruption and abuse of power, face in their line of work".

Nyantakyi was accused of requesting $11 million (9.3 million euros) to secure government contracts.

After the expose which saw Nyantakyi slapped with a lifetime football ban from FIFA and fined $496 000 (R6.8m) for being found guilty of bribery and corruption, dozens of referees and football officials also received bans.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]