Meghan and Kate suffer shocking abuse as Kensington Palace battles trolls

Meghan and Kate suffer shocking abuse as Kensington Palace battles trolls

Meghan and Kate suffer shocking abuse as Kensington Palace battles trolls

Hello! Magazine's royal corresponded Kate Nash filmed a Twitter video announcing the campaign on January 28, urging followers to ask themselves three things before posting something online, saying "Is it helpful, is it kind, and would you say it in real life?"

Staff are having to spend hours every week moderating comments posted on official royal social media accounts to identify and filter out sexist, racist and personal abuse aimed at the two women.

Although there have been allegations of tension behind the scenes between Kate and Meghan, aides have distanced themselves from blaming the mainstream media for the abuse.

Kensington Palace officials told Hello! that they've been working with Instagram "in a bid to learn all the tools they can to help them tackle the abusive comments".

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to attend Christmas Day Church service at Church of St Mary Magdalene on the Sandringham estate on December 25, 2018 in King's Lynn, England. They can block certain words, but some of it is quite serious. However, the Instagram account has grown significantly over the past two years and the scale of the comments has grown to thousands appearing within a few hours.

The source continued: "You can delete, and report and block people and the police have options around particular people. And it's not acceptable to attack other users just because they disagree with you".

"Arguments about who looks more appropriate, for example, that turn into personal attacks on other users", they say, citing an example where one user told another to "drink bleach" during an argument. "It's creating a supercharged atmosphere".

The Times newspaper reported in an editorial called "Vile Abuse" that numerous comments made about Meghan and Catherine are "too vicious to publish here and there have even been threats of violence".

The duchesses do not have their own public social media accounts. "It's when the abuse crosses a line and becomes racist or sexist, or threatens violence, that we take action". HELLO! is now urging readers to spread the #HelloToKindness message across social media and take a stand against online abuse.

Hello! launched a new social media campaign to coincide with the article: #HelloToKindness.

As expected, the most venomous comments pit the two Duchesses against each other.

In fact, they have gone so far as to say that the father to be is now "grumpy" which if true, is a marked change in demeanour to the affable Harry people know and love.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]