Air strike halts Tripoli flights as thousands flee Libya clashes

Air strike halts Tripoli flights as thousands flee Libya clashes

Air strike halts Tripoli flights as thousands flee Libya clashes

The only functioning airport in Tripoli has been attacked by a fighter jet as clashes in the Libyan capital continue, Reuters reported on Monday.

A spokesman for the Tripoli-based Health Ministry said fighting in the south of the capital had killed at least 25 people, including fighters and civilians, and wounded 80. He pointed out that 40 people have also been injured.

The global body has also said its call for a humanitarian truce has been ignored and emergency services said they had not been able to enter the areas where fighting was taking place.

Since then, the country's stark political divisions have yielded two rival seats of power: one in eastern Libya, with which Haftar is associated, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys United Nations support. "Volcano of Anger" trapped Haftar's Al-Wadi Brigade in the city of Sabratha.

Maria Valle Ribeiro, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator in Libya, said more than 2,800 people have fled from fighting.

Moscow insisted that the formal statement urge all Libyan forces to stop fighting, but the proposed change was opposed by the USA, council diplomats said. It added that relief agencies on the ground have enough emergency medical supplies to treat up to 210,000 people and handle 900 injury cases for three months.

The fatalities were mainly fighters, although they also comprised nine civilians including two doctors, the World Health Organization said.

According to the report, the security situation in western Libya is still "unclear and unpredictable".

Renewed civil war in Libya splintered into areas of factional control since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, threatens to disrupt oil and gas supplies, trigger more migration to Europe, and allow Islamist militants to exploit the chaos.

They are fighting on the southern side of the city, where witnesses said on Monday afternoon the LNA had lost control of a former airport and withdrawn down the road.

But the government of Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj has armed groups arriving from nearby Misrata to help block the LNA.

Despite repeated global calls for a truce, clashes have intensified, with dozens of people killed on both sides.

Al-Sarraj has been heading the Tripoli government since 2016 under a UN-mediated agreement, which Haftar has boycotted.

His LNA troops have continued to make advances, seizing the south of Libya and its oil fields earlier this year.

"As of yesterday and today, Monday, Haftar forces have been pushed back and Tripoli secured".

The violence has jeopardized a United Nations plan for an April 14-16 conference to plan elections and end anarchy that has prevailed since the Western-backed toppling of Gaddafi. GNA authorities also condemned the attack, which they said posed a threat to civilians and flights, describing it as a "war crime" and a violation of "all national laws and global agreements". However, it appears that the truce has not been respected.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]