Sudan's army removes President Bashir after 30 years in power

Sudan's army removes President Bashir after 30 years in power

Sudan's army removes President Bashir after 30 years in power

Following months of protests in Sudan demanding that President Omar Al-Bashir steps down, on Thursday, the army has closed the worldwide airport and taken over the state radio and television.

The minister also announcedthe suspension of the Constitution, the dissolution of the National Assembly and a three-month state of emergency for three months. His supporters were unable to flee the country due to a 24-hour airspace shutdown.

Sudan's military overthrew President Omar al-Bashir on Thursday amid increasingly bloody protests over his repressive 30-year rule and the deteriorating economy.

Tens of thousands of Sudanese were on the streets of the capital, Khartoum, on Thursday after conflicting signs of how the military would approach the protests, which began mid-December over soaring living costs that sent inflation rocketing to about 70 percent.

Demonstrators take part in a protest demanding the departure of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, in Khartoum, Sudan.

Formerly an army officer, he seized power in a military coup in 1989.

In what was clearly a last ditch effort to quell the protests, Bashir had imposed a state of emergency on February 22 after an initial crackdown failed to rein in the demonstrators.

In 2009, al-Bashir became the first sitting President to be indicted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for allegedly directing a campaign of mass killing, rape, and pillage against civilians in Darfur.

Al-Bashir had been in power nearly 30 years.

Sudanese activists behind months-long protests against al-Bashir say hundreds who were detained over the demonstrations have already been freed.

Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir and then-presidential candidate of the ruling National Congress Party (NCP), waves in the capital Khartoum. Two officials high in the military and government told The Associated Press that al-Bashir had been ousted.

Chanting "the regime has fallen", thousands poured into the open ground outside army headquarters where defiant protesters have braved tear gas to keep up an unprecedented sit-in now in its sixth day.

Omar Saleh Sennar, a senior member of the Sudanese Professionals' Association, said it expected to negotiate with the military over a transfer of power.

He is one of Africa's longest-serving presidents.

The United States calls "on transitional authorities to exercise restraint and to allow space for civilian participation within the government", State Department spokesman Robert Palladino told reporters.

"I hope our revolution will achieve its goal", said Alaa Salah, dubbed the protest movement's "Nubian queen", after a video clip went viral of her conducting chants with demonstrators outside army headquarters.

Mariam al-Mahdi, a leading member of the opposition Umma, called the military's takeover "a risky move". The fatalities so far have included five soldiers who protest organizers said were defending the sit-in.

Al-Arabiya TV also reported that soldiers have raided the headquarters of Bashir's Islamic Movement in Khartoum.

Being a brigadier in the Sudanese Army, al-Bashir was responsible for waging operations in the south of the country against the late rebel John Garang, who led the Sudan People's Liberation Army during the Second Sudanese Civil War.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]