Trump seeks huge boost in emergency funds for migrant surge

Trump seeks huge boost in emergency funds for migrant surge

Trump seeks huge boost in emergency funds for migrant surge

A Homeland Security official said more than 1,000 "confirmed" cases of adults bringing juveniles who weren't their own children to the border have been detected since the start of the fiscal year on October 1.

The Department of Homeland Security wouldn't say on Wednesday where the DNA pilot would begin but indicated it would be as early as next week and be very limited.

Almost 190,000 people entered the country in family units without immigration documents between October and March, according to Customs and Border Protection statistics.

"DHS projects it will exhaust resources well before the end of the fiscal year", reads the formal request letter to Congress, also obtained by the AP.

Asked why the administration did not redirect wall funding to the pressing humanitarian issues at the border, a second official told reporters that would not be allowed under budget rules.

Former Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Thomas Homan blasted congressional lawmakers when asked if they would support the White House's request for more border emergency funds.

Of the new request, $1.1 billion (NZ$1.6 billion) would go toward operational support, including personnel expenses, detention beds, transportation and investigative work on smuggling.

ICE's Enforcement and Removal Operations has also temporarily shifted approximately 330 deportation officers to areas at or near the border or to areas within the United States most impacted by surge of migrants at the border. They insisted the funds were different from what Trump seeks to make available through the national emergency declaration.

Vought said that the Health and Human Services Department is close to running out of money to provide child welfare services at the border, and if it does, it will have to divert critical resources from other programs.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection encountered 50,036 unaccompanied children during the last budget year, and so far this budget year there have been 35,898 children. The funding request includes $2.8 billion ($NZ4.2 billion) to increase shelter capacity to about 23,600 total beds for unaccompanied children.

U.S. border authorities plan to give migrant families DNA tests to determine whether or not the adults and children are related, Department of Homeland Security officials said Wednesday.

Homeland Security has spotted more than 1,000 fraudulent families at the southwest border over the past seven months, officials said Wednesday, putting parameters on the growing phenomenon of adults trying to use someone else's children to sneak into the U.S.

"We know the problem we are seeing, we know these are fraudulent family units", an official said on condition of anonymity. "However, the Trump administration appears to want much of this $4.5 billion ($NZ6.79 billion) emergency supplemental request to double down on cruel and ill-conceived policies".

Acting-Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan prepares for a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing on his agency's future funding, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, April 30, 2019.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]