Shock as Rwandan killers of NZ tourists resettled in Australia

Shock as Rwandan killers of NZ tourists resettled in Australia

Shock as Rwandan killers of NZ tourists resettled in Australia

A heated 2017 exchange between President Trump and the former Australian prime minister has been revealed as a secret deal to send two Rwandans who confessed to slaughtering Americans to live the rest of their lives as free men Down Under.

The agreement to send them to Australia reportedly was made amid a seemingly related deal, struck during the final days of the Obama administration, for the U.S.to take as many as 1,250 migrants whom Australia was holding in offshore refugee centers - which had come under global scrutiny for alleged mistreatment of migrants. We will take anyone that you want us to take, ' he said.

Three Rwandans confessed to the murders and were sent to the United States where they would face trial.

Former prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, struck the refugee deal with then U.S. president, Barack Obama, and convinced incumbent Donald Trump to stick to it.

The revelation is likely to be uncomfortable for current Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who replaced Turnbull previous year.

"Allegations, I know, have been made out there in the public forum", he told the National Press Club on Thursday.

The case against them fell apart in 2007 when a judge...

The case was dropped, and the men asked for asylum in the U.S. - claiming that they'd be persecuted if they were sent home - kicking off another lengthy legal battle that left them in limbo behind bars.

Leonidas Bimenyimana and Gregoire Nyaminani were accepted by Australia in November as humanitarian migrants at the request of the US.

Under the agreement, the USA will take up to 1250 confirmed refugees from the offshore centres while Australia agreed to resettle Central American refugees from camps in Costa Rica.

"They may be a paedophile, they may be a rapist, they may be a murderer and this bill would mean that we would just have to take them", Mr Morrison said in February.

Australia also agreed to re-settle people the Obama Administration wanted to get out of the USA in what Politico described as a "secret arrangement".

Australian officials have so far refused to confirm or deny the report, with the Department of Home Affairs saying it does not comment on individual cases. The remaining man is being held in an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Miami, according to the outlet, possibly because the Australians balked at settling him after he attacked a guard.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison refused to comment on the specifics but said: "Every single person that comes to Australia under any such arrangements is the subject of both character and security assessments by Australian security agencies and our immigration authorities".

"These are very sensitive matters, when you're dealing with any refugee cases", he said.

The men reportedly settled in Australia last November as part of a deal that saw the United States also take in refugees being held in Australia's refugee centres.

Politico reports that officials say the deal was not specifically a quid pro quo, but that the Obama administration encouraged Australia to make "a series of gestures on refugee-related issues" in response to the USA agreement to take the 1,250 refugees in Australia.

The government's acceptance of two men linked to a brutal mass murder and rebel groups implicated in a genocide has drawn criticism in light of the government's opposition to laws allowing for the medical evacuation of sick refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]