Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed visits Sudan for talks with military, opposition

Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed visits Sudan for talks with military, opposition

Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed visits Sudan for talks with military, opposition

Doctors allied with the opposition said the death toll from the crackdown had risen to 108 as of Wednesday.

RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, widely known as "Himediti", said he was on the side of the "revolutionaries", but warned he would not "allow chaos", referring specifically to the barricades put up in some neighbourhoods.

Thousands of demonstrators had remained defiant since Bashir's ouster, taking to the streets calling for the generals to cede power to civilians. The camp was not far from the Blue Nile, just upstream from where it joins the White Nile and then flows north through Sudan and Egypt to the Mediterranean.

He said he was "afraid for (his) children to go out in the street", even though the situation was not quite as bad as in previous days.

The AU's decision was prompted by the deaths on Monday of more than 120 people when paramilitaries attacked a protest camp in the centre of Khartoum.

More than 300 people were injured, according to the CCSD, although the exact number of wounded was hard to establish since the TMC has switched off the internet in many parts of the country.

An official from the group told the BBC that they had witnessed and verified the bodies in hospitals and that the death toll now stood at at least 100.

The United States, Norway and Britain have issued a joint statement condemning the Sudanese security forces for their violent attacks on protesters that killed dozens this week.

"In Buri, there were lots of shootings and tear gas", al-Sudani said. Several videos showed security forces beating people with sticks.

The military has denied trying to clear the sit-in protest outside the defense ministry on Monday.

The deputy head of the military council defended the violent suppression, claiming that the protesters had been infiltrated by rogue elements and drug dealers. But the already faltering negotiations collapsed in the wake of the crackdown.

On Wednesday, however, Burhan abruptly announced that the generals were prepared to resume negotiations with "no restrictions".

The motives for Burhan's about-face - if honest - were not immediately clear.

Numerous reports from Khartoum said the paramilitary unit, the feared Rapid Support Forces (RSF), was roaming the city's almost deserted streets, targeting civilians.

It said it was the victim of a media smear campaign and has promised an inquiry.

Five main hospitals had been shut down by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, it said. Some women had reportedly been raped, it said.

"We regret the events", the General said in his speech on Wednesday. "No support has been found for it among the countries of the region or in the worldwide community, and so it will remain Sudanese until its goals are realised", Faisal said, commenting on recent visits to Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Egypt by the country's military rulers.

Heavily armed troops with rocket-propelled grenades continue to patrol the streets of Khartoum. Sadeq al-Mahdi urged all factions in the protest movement to meet urgently to work out "how to bring the transfer of power" to a civilian council.

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which spearheaded protests against Bashir, urged the global community "to isolate and stop dealing with the so-called military council".

After Mr Al Bashir was toppled following four months of protests, the Ethiopian prime minister congratulated the Sudanese people for their "resilience in leading change" toward a democratic Sudan.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]