'We're still here': Hong Kong protesters return to streets

'We're still here': Hong Kong protesters return to streets

'We're still here': Hong Kong protesters return to streets

Police fired tear gas Sunday inside a train station and in several Hong Kong neighbourhoods where protesters occupied roads in another weekend of anti-government demonstrations.

Police have not given permission for Sunday's two protests planned in the city's working class Sham Shui Po district in Kowloon or for North Point on Hong Kong Island. "But she's the one who is destroying Hong Kong", he said.

Thousands of mostly young activists filled the airport's arrivals hall for a second day, some sitting and shouting slogans, while others drew protest posters and greeted arriving passengers.

In the morning, in two separate protests, small groups of elderly Hong Kongers and families marched near the financial centre's business district.

Activists also staged a protest at the worldwide airport to make arriving tourists aware of their campaign.

Leung Wai Man, a housewife in her 60s, said she had been motivated to march in Tai Po because she was angry about what she saw as the violent response by police at some protests.

A report by the pro-Beijing newspaper Ta Kung Pao about United States diplomat Julie Eadeh contained personal information about Eadeh, her husband and their children.

'There will still be citizens going out on the streets to protest, but we can not control them and we do not have the authority to control them, ' Yu said.

Protesters want the resignation of the territory's leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, and an investigation into complaints of abuses by police.

Dressed in protective masks and goggles with long sleeve shirts and pants to protect them from teargas, protesters moved back and forth across the city's subway system as police pushed crowds back from one neighbourhood to the next. One of its pilots was arrested last week.

The bill prompted the largest demonstrations seen since Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997, but Lam has steadfastly refused to meet any demands beyond a promise that the bill is now "suspended".

Older people have also been appearing.

"There are clashes in the recent protests and many parents are anxious", said Fion Yim, 35, representative of the organising committee for what was billed as the family protest. "We hope to provide a safer place for parents and their kids to participate in rallies, and to voice their concerns".

The unrest was triggered by a new law that could see people in Hong Kong put on trial for political crimes in China, which many people in Hong Kong feel is unfair. The bill has been shelved, but the demonstrations are calling for it to be permanently withdrawn.

At the airport, a mainland visitor surnamed Zou expressed her disappointment with Cathay Pacific, noting it is irresponsible if the airline allows an employee involved in violent protests and charged with related crimes to continue to work.

Beijing has also signalled that it is losing patience with the protests.

Hong Kong is a former British colony.

Demonstrators are nine weeks into protesting and have demands for more democratic freedoms. Ortagus responded at the time: "I don't think that that's a formal protest, that is what a thuggish regime would do".

In Sham Shui Po they used metal fencing and plastic ties to construct makeshift barricades and block the road near the local police station, shining blue lasers at the building as officers held up a flag warning the crowd to disperse.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]