Girl Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba From Swimming In River

Girl Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba From Swimming In River

Girl Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba From Swimming In River

It's absolutely heartbreaking to think that this lovely child passed away after simply enjoying a day in the water with her family and making childhood memories.

'We thought if the water is flowing, it's safe, but that's clearly not the case'.

"She is still here with us", her aunt, Loni Yadon, told WFAA, "and we are still fighting".

"She is just an outstanding young girl and we are all devastated but we're also very hopeful", Dowdy said last Friday.

"This past week has been a true testament of the kind of girl she was and the tremendous affect she had on people". "She's stronger than anyone I know". She was later rushed to the ER and treated for bacterial and viral meningitis after her parents found her incoherent and unresponsive.

Lily's family thanked everyone who prayed for their daughter and shared her story.

Valley Mills and Whitney ISD's both mourned the loss of the little girl after news of her passing. She came down with a headache and a fever after swimming in a pool the next weekend.

Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers. If your child starts showing symptoms and has recently been swimming in freshwater, tell your doctor!

'They got it checked out. "We have been flooded by your love and support and feel incredibly humbled by how many lives have been impacted by our sweet and sassy, Lily Mae".

"Lily was an absolute blessing to our elementary school", the post said.

Lily was then flown to Cook Children's Health Care System in Forth Worth, where a spinal tap revealed she had contracted Naegleriasis, a rare an infection caused by the amoeba. She was loving, kind, respectful, and had a handsome heart. She is in stable condition, she is still in the ICU at this time, and that's basically where we're at.

Naegleria fowleri is commonly referred to as the "brain-eating amoeba" as it can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

The Texas Department of State Health Services did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment Monday morning. People get infected when water containing the parasite enters through the nose where it can travel to the brain and destroy brain tissue.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]