New Orleans hotel under construction suffers partial collapse, at least one killed

New Orleans hotel under construction suffers partial collapse, at least one killed

New Orleans hotel under construction suffers partial collapse, at least one killed

Authorities said 18 people had been transported to the area hospitals.

City officials and Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards confirmed the death.

During a Saturday press conference, New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell said the upper six to eight floors of the building collapsed.

A mandatory evacuation is now in place in the area, as according to authorities "the frame of the building is considered stable but is unsupported".

"It's a very risky situation", Fire Superintendent Timothy McConnell said, adding that the building is "unstable", and another collapse is possible. "The crane is still in place but it is unsupported and very risky".

The State Fire Marshall and Urban Search and Rescue Task Force 1 are on the way to the scene to assist first responders.

PHOTO: Construction workers look on after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on October 12, 2019.

Construction workers look on after a large portion of a hotel under construction suddenly collapsed in New Orleans on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019.

It's unclear what caused the collapse.

Viewer video tweeted by WWL-TV in New Orleans shows the structure falling into a street. Led by Florida-based Hard Rock International, the development called for 350 hotel rooms on the site of the former Woolworth Department Store. 2 units remain on standby.

The building is on the corner of Iberville and North Rampart streets.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]