Turkey slams Arab League's comments on anti-terror campaign in Syria

Turkey slams Arab League's comments on anti-terror campaign in Syria

Turkey slams Arab League's comments on anti-terror campaign in Syria

The Syrian Democratic Forces later said they had reclaimed the area. On Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned what he described as a Turkish campaign of "ethnic cleansing", and said Israel would offer the Kurds aid.

"They know exactly where US forces are", Milley said at a joint Pentagon news conference with Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

Ahmed Aboul Gheit said that Turkey's military operation in northern Syria has resulted in a new wave of displacement and jeopardizes "achievements" made in fighting the Islamic State extremist group.

Iran, a close ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has regularly urged Turkey to respect Syria's territorial integrity and avoid military action in north-eastern Syria.

Separately on Saturday, thousands of people marched in a number of European cities, including Paris and Berlin, in protest against the Turkish assault.

Trump said the USA can not fight "endless wars". "There was no shot fired whatsoever on the United States observation post", Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said in a statement.

The statement drew swift condemnation from Turkey.

"Before the shooting, all kinds of precautions were taken to prevent damage to the U.S base", a translated version of the statement read.

"We've been in these wars now, one of them 19 years, and we don't fight to win, we fight to just stay there", he said.

"The Adana Agreement between Turkey and Syria - still valid - can be the better path to achieve security", Mr Zarif said in a tweet which carried part of an interview he conducted with Turkish state broadcaster TRT. The US president allowed this operation to happen; claiming that Turkey is going beyond bounds is false outrage.

Turkey's Defence Ministry said its forces did not open fire at the USA base and took all precautions to prevent any harm to it while it was responding to fire from a nearby area by the Kurdish YPG militia, which Ankara regards as a terrorist group.

"Every kind of precaution was taken so no damage came to the US base", he said.

Berlin's Foreign Minister said today weaponry has been banned after Turkey launched the military attack on Wednesday, days after United States troops pulled back from the area. Trump's announcement was widely decried by American lawmakers across the political spectrum as well as humanitarians the world over.

Donald Trump's decision to back down in northern Syria now not only has cost our erstwhile allies, the Kurds, in their blood.

Beritan Oerde, an organizer with the Kurdish Foundation of Quebec poses in Montreal, Saturday, October 12, 2019.

Ankara began its onslaught against the YPG militia, which it says is a terrorist group backing Kurdish insurgents in Turkey, after Trump withdrew some USA troops who had been backing Kurdish forces in the fight against Islamic State.

Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said on Friday that Germany expected all North Atlantic Treaty Organisation partners - which include Turkey - to contribute toward stabilizing the region.

Observers say at least 30 civilians have been killed.

He says the move is aimed at creating a so-called "safe zone" freed of the Kurdish fighters within which some of the 3.6 million refugees now residing in Turkey can be resettled.

The five European council members who called the closed meeting would have liked its 15 members to agree on a statement on the Turkish offensive, launched after President Trump suddenly withdrew US forces from the volatile northeast. However, beyond such threats, the Trump administration has not yet taken any public and formal actions to curtail or end the Turkish offensive.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]