McGregor fined €1,000 over pub assault

McGregor fined €1,000 over pub assault

McGregor fined €1,000 over pub assault

Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor has been convicted of assault and fined €1,000 (about $1,115) over his April 2019 altercation with an elderly man in a Dublin pub, the Dublin District Court ruled on Friday.

The 31-year-old was charged with assaulting Desmond Keogh on 6 April.

McGregor, of Lady Castle, Straffan, Co Kildare, had apologised to his victim and paid him compensation, however the amount was not disclosed to the court.

He appeared in court for a second time in relation to the assault at the Marble Arch pub on Belbulben Road in Drimnagh earlier this year.

Keogh declined the opportunity to give a victim statement, but revealed that he had accepted an apology from "The Notorious" fighter. Michael Staines, McGregor's representation, asked the court for leniency on the grounds his client was a professional athlete from the US who had a fight coming up in January, per The Journal.

Video footage of the incident in April was played at the hearing which showed McGregor punching the elderly drinker who escaped unharmed.

Garda O'Carroll confirmed that Mr Keogh did not engage with McGregor and was looking the other way when he was hit.

When it returned to court today, his solicitor told the judge he meant to plead guilty.

"He accepts that what he did was wrong and wants to apologise in open court".

Speaking about the incident during an appearance on ESPN, McGregor said: "It doesn't matter what happened there - I was in the wrong. I must come here before you and take accountability and take responsibility". He argued a conviction would create issues with a visa.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]