Popcorn Lung From Vaping: Should You Freak Out?

Popcorn Lung From Vaping: Should You Freak Out?

Popcorn Lung From Vaping: Should You Freak Out?

"This novel disease pattern of airway injury associated with vaping leading to chronic obstruction appears to be distinct from the alveolar injury characterizing the EVALI (e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury) have been described cases recently reported in the USA, and the seven confirmed or probable cases in Canada, highlighting the need for further research and regulation of e-cigarettes", elaborated lead author Dr Karen Bosma, Associate Scientist at Lawson.

The 17-year-old, from Ontario, Canada, was taken to hospital final 12 months with a extreme cough, fever and shortness of breath. He was released from the hospital 47 days later but still suffers from chronic lung damage.

His injuries were similar to those observed in people suffering from 'popcorn lung, ' a condition found in workers in a microwave popcorn factory who had accidentally inhaled diacetyl, a product used by the food industry which gives popcorn a buttery flavor.

First case of vaping 'popcorn lung?'

"We don't want to see anyone sick but it's quite eye-opening when it's very young people who have been previously healthy". He vaped a variety of flavored electronic cigarettes, which he purchased online, and often added THC to his vaping fluid, according to the report authors, from the Western University Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry in London, Ontario, and the University Health Network in Toronto.

Several vaping chemicals could have caused the injury, she said, but the team focused on diacetyl because it has been shown to cause similar illnesses. He continued to deteriorate over time, eventually being placed on a ventilator and ultimately a machine described as the most serious form of life support available to respiratory patients.

The patient was even transferred on ECMO to a lung transplant center for further evaluation.

Martinu said the boy's condition differed from other pulmonary illnesses documented in the scant medical literature around vaping.

"When we see this type of injury and it's not from infection we think then about toxic inhalation exposure and given his history of heavy vaping over the last five months we were concerned that this was a vaping-related lung injury", explains lead author Dr. Karen Bosma, associate scientist at Lawson. "It just knocked those completely out", he said about the case. There are also seven confirmed or probable cases in Canada. They also couldn't medically confirm he had "popcorn lung" because a surgical lung biopsy was deemed unsafe.

Doctors and researchers in London and Toronto are considering whether chemicals used in vaping could be the possible cause of this case of lung injury. Several were so ill they were referred for lung transplants. The teen's hometown was not disclosed. He has been discharged, and doctors say he may never regain full lung function. THC is the chemical responsible for most of marijuana's psychological effects.

Earlier this year Canada's chief medical officers of health issued a statement warning that vaping among youth had spiked alarmingly, and Canadian provinces including British Columbia and Prince Edward Island are exploring legislation to limit youth access to e-cigarettes.

Black market THC products are thought to be the culprit for the vaping epidemic in the United States that has seen 42 deaths and more than 2,000 hospitalisations.

However, with heavy marketing, an enticing array of flavours and the potential to inhale drugs other than nicotine, vaping has become increasingly popular, particularly among youth, attracting those who have never smoked before.

"Avoid it if you can, he said".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]