Soldiers Killed In Yemen Missile, Drone Attack

Soldiers Killed In Yemen Missile, Drone Attack

Soldiers Killed In Yemen Missile, Drone Attack

A missile attack launched by Shiite rebels in Yemen hit an army camp on Saturday, killing at least 25 soldiers, Yemeni officials said.

"Twenty-four soldiers died, 20 were injured in a missile attack on the barracks for draftees in the al-Milah area in the northwest of the Marib province".

Almost a dozen Saudi-backed militiamen were killed or injured in Yemen's northwestern Hajjah province on Saturday in an attack by Ansarullah fighters.

Yemen's Defense Ministry said "the armed forces will remain the solid rock that breaks the ambitions" of Iran's goal of destabilizing security in Yemen and the wider region, according to a statement carried by Yemeni state news agency Saba.

Yemen's government has blamed Houthi rebels for the attack, but there has been no claim of responsibility.

The United Nations envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, condemned this incident and other stepped-up air strikes, missile and ground attacks around the country.

Medical and military sources said today that yesterday's strike follows months of relative calm in the war between the Iran-backed Houthis and Yemen's internationally recognized government which is backed by a Saudi-led military coalition.

"Experience however tells us that military de-escalation can not be sustained without political progress between the parties, and this has become the next challenge".

The landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 had been hailed as Yemen's best chance so far to end the fighting that has pushed the country to the brink of starvation.

But the UAE-backed southerners are now at odds with Yemen's internationally recognized government, which is more closely allied with Saudi Arabia.

The civil war, now in its fifth year, has created the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]