First death from coronavirus outside of China confirmed

First death from coronavirus outside of China confirmed

First death from coronavirus outside of China confirmed

The death toll from the coronavirus soared past 360 on February 3, exceeding the 349 mainland fatalities from the 2002-03 SARS outbreak, although SARS killed a higher percentage of people infected. The victim was a 44-year-old Chinese male from the city of Wuhan who arrived in the Philippines via Hong Kong on January 21.

Meanwhile, six officials in the city of Huanggang, next to Wuhan in Hubei province, have been fired over "poor performance" in handling the outbreak, the news agency reported.

As of Monday morning, there were 17,389 confirmed cases, according to World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, an increase of 2,832 cases from the previous day.

They said that the "entire nation has been mobilized to fight against the epidemic, with 6,097 medical professionals working in Wuhan and other places in Hubei province".

Where people will be quarantined may differ depending on the operational plans laid out by states. There are 10 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Germany.

Any U.S. citizen who has traveled elsewhere in China. Elsewhere, China has placed growing restrictions on travel and business.

The Chinese stock and commodity markets fell heavily as the markets reopened for the first trading session after an extended Lunar New Year break.

Road traffic on Sunday, when hundreds of millions of people would have been expected to return to their cities of work, was down 80 percent, the transport ministry said. Ambassador Lin Songtian says China is monitoring all visitors to South Africa, and that in China, officials are treating the thousands of African nationals who may be at risk.

On Friday, President Donald Trump signed a proclamation prohibiting noncitizens from entering the US if they were in China, not including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days of their arrival. A total of 171 cases have been reported by over two dozen countries.

The number of countries reporting infections rose to 24 after Britain, Russia and Sweden confirmed their first cases this weekend.

The epidemic has ballooned into a global health emergency, with cases reported in more than 20 countries. The Pentagon is providing housing for people arriving from overseas who might need to be quarantined.

Exempted from that order are family members of US citizens and legal permanent residents, although they will face a 14-day quarantine if they had been in Wuhan or the Hubei province of China, the epicenter of the epidemic.

"What I've seen is that in situations like this, science should trump everything else".

The U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar has declared a public health emergency and a temporary travel ban.

It is one of two dedicated facilities being constructed to help tackle the outbreak, the BBC said in a report.

However, a string of countries have ramped up border controls.

China says the United States has caused "panic" with its ban on travelers arriving from China.

"We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent", he told the WHO Executive Board, reiterating his earlier message.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]