Hubei reports 36 new confirmed COVID-19 cases

Hubei reports 36 new confirmed COVID-19 cases

Hubei reports 36 new confirmed COVID-19 cases

The government has hinted it may soon lift the quarantine imposed on locked-down Hubei province, where some 56 million people have been effectively housebound since late January and of which Wuhan is the capital.

Although the rapid spread of infections has been contained in Wuhan, the city and Hubei Province still face an arduous task in epidemic prevention and control, said Ding Xiangyang, deputy secretary-general of the State Council, the nation's cabinet, Friday at a press conference.

Chinese health authority said Sunday it received reports of 44 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 27 deaths on Saturday on the Chinese mainland.

The new cases bring China's number of total confirmed cases up to 80,735 cases.

There's also no evidence so far that people who have recovered and later test positive again for the virus can pass it on to others, according to Du, who is also the director of intensive care unit for internal medicine at Peking Union Medical College Hospital.

President Xi Jinping warned on Sunday however that China needs to take a long-term view of the outbreak and plug loopholes in its laws and emergency response mechanisms, as Beijing reported two new cases of Chinese nationals recently returned from Iran, where coronavirus cases have multiplied quickly.

The man was admitted to the hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, on February 24 with the coronavirus infection.

However, the medical staff will remain on standby for the next few days. It did not give a date for the resumption of commercial operations.

Italy reports 49 more coronavirus deaths, toll at 197
Daily new COVID-19 infections continue downward trend

Shanghai Disney said that it was reopening its shopping and entertainment Disneytown zone - plus a park and hotel in the same complex - in the "first step of a phased reopening".

The resort has been closed since January 25. In total, 20,533 patients are still hospitalized.

The two hospitals discharged a final batch of 61 patients on Sunday, Xinhua said. A total of 1,056 people were treated at this makeshift hospital with now staff being infected.

In addition to the growing risks of imported infections, China's anti-virus efforts also face the challenge of trying to get migrant workers back to work by early April. World Health Organization says that new coronavirus cases outside China have passed 24,700, and there are almost 500 deaths. In the provincial capital of Wuhan, 21 people died. Cases are increasing in other countries, including the United States.

Meanwhile, 60 new suspected cases were reported, said the commission. The ministry added that new cases include 1 Saudi national, 2 Bahrainis and 1 American. Authorities in Beijing and Shanghai are more closely monitoring arrivals from Japan, South Korea, Italy and Iran.

The seven countries are Cambodia, Austria, Hungary, Egypt, Peru, Bulgaria and Maldives.

According to data from China's National Health Commission (NHC), cases fell by roughly one half on Saturday from the day prior.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]