Coronavirus forces cancellation of Indian Wells

Coronavirus forces cancellation of Indian Wells

Coronavirus forces cancellation of Indian Wells

The BNP Paribas Open, as it is alternatively called, has been informally labeled as the fifth major in tennis and has been one of the more anticipated events of the season.

It's the first major USA sports event to be cancelled because of concern over the virus.

"We appreciate the proactive stance tournament organizers are taking to ensure public health and safety", said Martin Massiello, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Eisenhower Health.

Riverside County health officials said the individual with the first case of locally acquired coronavirus is being treated at Eisenhower Health in nearby Rancho Mirage after testing positive. Organizers have not yet canceled the event. Refunds, or credit toward next year's event, are being offered.

Scottish doubles specialist Jamie Murray said: "Doesn't bode well for the tour if Indian Wells is cancelled for one confirmed case in Coachella Valley".

The tournament is not just big but hugely popular: Indian Wells has been voted the ATP and WTA Masters/Premier "Event of the Year" since 2014. It is known for its large attendance - more than 450,000 fans attended in 2018 and 2019 - and it's hefty prize money ($8.7 million for men and $9 million for women).

Indian Wells tournament director Tommy Haas indicated in a release that organizers are looking into holding the tournament on another date.

The number of coronavirus cases in the USA has exceeded 500 spread across more than 30 states. Based on the medical advice received on March 8, it is with regret that the 2020 BNP Paribas Open will not be held as scheduled this March.

"Security remains a priority, and we are monitoring the situation of COVID-19 closely with local, state and federal officials and health organizations in the period before the tournament".

Wimbledon and all the other grass-court tournaments in the United Kingdom, including Fever-Tree Championships at Queen's Club, are still on as things stand after Britain's Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) met with sports governing bodies on Monday to discuss the issue. Several smaller minor tournaments in China had been canceled previously, and a tournament in Bergamo, Italy, canceled its final.

Indian wells were deleted. Now the attention is on the other tournaments as there is a growing fear that some other top events will be canceled.

Thus, there would be 250 disinfection posts and players would have to carry their own towels, and a chair at the back of the tracks so they could place them. "There will be losses for everybody", he said. "It's about what is right, and I think it's a challenging time right now".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]