Ontario Schools Closing Until April 5

Ontario Schools Closing Until April 5

Ontario Schools Closing Until April 5

Today Premier Doug Ford, Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education, made the announcement.

Given the rapidly changing domestic and global situation with the virus, the provincial government house leader said Thursday he is working on a motion with opposition leaders that would allow for the suspension of the legislature, if necessary.

"It can change, it can change at any day", Ford said.

In response to the two week school shutdown, the TDSB said, "we have just learned that all Ontario schools, including those at the TDSB, have been ordered to close from March 14 to April 5 amid ongoing concerns about Coronavirus".

The province said it has tested more than 4,100 people for the virus so far, and the vast majority of the tests have come back negative.

Lecce says Ontario has a plan that "will ensure that learning continues for students in Ontario".

"As this situation evolves, Ontario's COVID-19 Command Table is prepared to respond quickly and effectively to any scenario and provide the government with advice on measures to keep the public and frontline workers safe", the province said. "We will be sharing additional details once we receive them".

He added that any children who travel over the March Break need to be kept from daycare settings or other public gatherings.

"This is a unsafe disease".

Spokeswoman Nicolle Carlin said this morning Higgs has decided he must stay in New Brunswick.

Quebec followed suit on Thursday ordering government workers to self-isolate for two weeks after an worldwide trip and asking all citizens to do the same.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]