Cruise Ship Carrying 4 People Infected With Coronavirus Docks In Sydney

Cruise Ship Carrying 4 People Infected With Coronavirus Docks In Sydney

Cruise Ship Carrying 4 People Infected With Coronavirus Docks In Sydney

New measures to seal off borders to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus have left cruise ships stranded in the Caribbean, South America and Europe, with local governments denying permission to disembark as more cases of infected passengers have come to light.

"Yesterday, a cruise ship arrived in Sydney".

The arrival comes despite a 30-day ban on global cruise liners docking in the country, which was announced on Tuesday.

It is unclear how numerous passengers on board have been contacted yet, but Brad Hazzard has urged the public to contact friends and family who were on the ship to inform them of the news as quickly as possible.

A person who was on board cruise ship Celebrity Solstice when it visited Tauranga last week has been confirmed to have Covid-19.

"Any passengers on the cruise, who have since returned to New Zealand, would be covered by the requirement since 15 March for all travellers returning to New Zealand to go into self-isolation for 14 days".

Press PLAY below for more.

Three of the confirmed cases were passengers who disembarked the ship after it docked in Circular Quay, while the fourth was a crew member who remains in isolation on the ship.

The rest of the passengers were taken into Travis Air Force base for a 14-day quarantine that is set to end early next week.

Mr Hazzard urged passengers to be aware of any symptoms, which may include fever or cough, and contact a GP or call the Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice.

"That obviously is a cause for us to have some concern", said New South Wales state health minister Brad Hazzard.

He joined the cruise in Auckland on 10 March and departed the cruise in Dunedin - before he returned separately to Auckland.

The Ruby Princess is now off the coast of Wollongong.

Passengers had "provided their emails and their phone numbers" he added, "we're making every effort to contact" them.

A port official told Reuters that 639 passengers, including 187 French nationals, would be allowed to leave the ship in small groups, depending on the timing of their transport home. Ships already in New Zealand waters were permitted to conclude their itinerary.

"Please be advised that all four had reported flu-like symptoms during the cruise, and, along with their stateroom occupants, were in isolation on board the ship minimizing contact with other guests and crew", Princess Cruises said.

The NSW chief health officer, Dr Kerry Chant, said the ship had been deemed "low-risk" because it was travelling from New Zealand to Australia.

Two cruise ships turned away by other ports are headed to Honolulu.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]