Trump suspended from Facebook for 2 years, company says

Trump suspended from Facebook for 2 years, company says

Trump suspended from Facebook for 2 years, company says

Facebook (FB) on Friday announced that it has reached a decision to suspend former President Trump's accounts on its platforms for two years.

Trump has been permanently banned by Twitter and remains suspended by Alphabet's YouTube after the riot.

"This decision only goes to underline the enormous, unchecked power of Facebook and its repeated failure to police its platform", a coalition calling itself the Real Facebook Oversight Board said in a statement. "Our Country can't take this abuse anymore!"

"Facebook's ruling is an insult to the record-setting 75M people, plus many others, who voted for us in the 2020 Rigged Presidential Election", Trump said, though there is no evidence that fraud decided the 2020 presidential election. Rather, Facebook said, it will "look to experts to assess whether the risk to public safety has receded".

Facebook moved to indefinitely suspend Trump's accounts following the January 7 attack on the U.S. Capitol during which a mob of Trump supporters stormed the building. It said it would evaluate factors including instances of violence, restrictions on peaceful assembly and other markers of civil unrest.

When the suspension is eventually lifted, there will be a strict set of rapidly escalating sanctions that will be triggered if Mr. Trump commits further violations in future, up to and including permanent removal of his pages and accounts. "We are suspending his accounts for two years, effective from the date of the initial suspension on January 7 this year". (It was just over 74 million votes.) He also continued his baseless attacks on the legitimacy of the election.

We believe the risks of allowing President Trump to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great, so we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks.

Those unanswered questions include how Facebook will treat other controversial political leaders who have flouted its rules and whether the company would be re-examining the actions it's taken against other users prior to this policy shift.

Facebook also said it will no longer give politicians blanket immunity for deceptive or abusive content at the social network based on their comments being newsworthy.

Facebook has come under fire from those who think it should abandon its hands-off approach to political speech, but has also been criticized by those, including Republican lawmakers and some free-expression advocates, who saw the Trump ban as a disturbing act of censorship. The company will continue to use the exception, according to the source, but, in another significant change, will begin explicitly disclosing when the exception has been applied.

Facebook and Twitter now have rules that give world leaders, elected officials and political candidates greater latitude than ordinary users.

Now, Facebook is overhauling a key part of its approach and will no longer consider politicians' posts "newsworthy" by default.

The policy changes were announced Friday in response to recommendations from Facebook's Oversight Board.

Facebook, which previously had not shared how many "strikes" users could receive before a suspension, offered more transparency into this opaque system. As a result, the company did not apply its regular rules to their posts. Facebook said it was implementing 15 of the 19 board recommendations.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]