Indian boy dies after three days stuck in well

Indian boy dies after three days stuck in well

Indian boy dies after three days stuck in well

Authorities had tried their best to rescue the boy, mounting a non-stop operation that lasted more than 80 hours.

In the wake of Sujith's death, Palaniswamy directed district collectors to ensure that guidelines relating to open borewells were strictly followed in the state. The 2-year-old boy died after being in the borewell without food and water for nearly four days. Efforts to save Wilson, who fell into the borewell while playing, was impeded by rocky terrain.

Civil Servant J. Radhakrishnan told reporters on Tuesday that the boy's body had been "highly decomposed".

Radhakrishnan said those posted near the borewell noticed foul smell around 10:30 pm on Monday following which medical personnel and teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) assessed the situation.

A huge rescue operation was launched to try and save the tot. The body parts were packed and sent to Manapparai Government Hospital for postmortem.

The state government's rescue operations drew flak, with many alleging it had adopted a "trial and error" approach.

This was also not complied with by authorities this time around, he said. Absence of state-of-the-art equipment with rescuing agencies attracted criticisms.

In the meantime, the 600-feet borewell was sealed with concrete.

Santosh Babu, secretary, IT department and CMD at Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Development Corporation regretted the boy's death and made a proposal to have a Hackathon or a solution to rescue someone from a borewell.

The incident in the Nadukaadupatti village at Manaparai Taluk in Tiruchirapalli district got the attention of the entire country, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, who keeping track of the development on a day-to-day basis.

Then it was confirmed that Sujith has passed away inside the borewell.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]