Hong Kong student who fell during weekend protests dies

Hong Kong student who fell during weekend protests dies

Hong Kong student who fell during weekend protests dies

On Friday, protesters and democracy activists mourned Chow and students called for a candle light vigil on Friday at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Protesters claim he fell while trying to avoid tear gas that had been fired by police to disperse them. "It was an intentional manslaughter executed by tyranny and the police force". Some carried white flowers and placards that read "Hong Kong is a police state".

Protesters demanded justice for Chow and hurled abuse at several police officials on site, calling them "murderers".

"Wake up soon. Remember we need to meet under the LegCo", said one message, referring to the territory's Legislative Council, one of the targets of the protest rallies. It will also complicate efforts by the government to cool down tensions.

Wu yesterday confirmed that police had entered the vehicle park twice to contain the protesters, but that officers were not inside when Chow fell. In September, a journalist was blinded in one eye after being hit by a rubber bullet fired by police.

The circumstances of how he was injured were unclear but authorities said he was believed to have fallen from the third to the second floor in a parking lot when police dispersed crowds in a district east of the Kowloon peninsula. Minutes later, he was found dead.

Qiu said the attack is sheer murder with the rioter stabbing his knife into the lawmaker's chest in broad daylight. A "comprehensive investigation to find out what happened is being conducted", it added.

SINGAPORE police are investigating a YouTube star from Hong Kong who allegedly organised a gathering to discuss the protests in his home city, a potential violation of tough public assembly laws. Tactics deployed by the Hong Kong police has been increasingly alarming, marked by an apparent thirst for retaliation.

Hong Kong police on Tuesday denied media reports that they blocked an ambulance from accessing the student. Wong was charged in August with organizing an illegal rally.

Earlier in the day, students marched to the residence of the HKUT president Wei Shyy, demanding that he condemn police violence against student protesters.

Earlier Thursday, hundreds of masked students disrupted graduation ceremonies at two Hong Kong universities, shouting slogans, turning their backs and booing when the Chinese national anthem was played.

The government expressed "great sorrow and regret".

Earlier Friday evening, thousands attended vigils in over a dozen locations across the semi-autonomous city, including at the vehicle park where the incident happened. Protesters have been urged to dress in all black and wear masks. More rallies can be expected over the weekend.

In Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang, at a regular press briefing, refused a reporter's question on the incident, saying, "This is not a diplomatic issue".

Young people have been at the forefront of the protests sparked by a now-shelved China extradition bill, viewed as a sign of creeping interference by Beijing on Hong Kong's judicial freedoms and other rights guaranteed when the former British colony was returned to China in 1997. The movement has since expanded to include other demands, including direct elections for the city's leaders.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]