Aussie cruise ship passenger dies from COVID-19 in Western Australian hospital

Aussie cruise ship passenger dies from COVID-19 in Western Australian hospital

Aussie cruise ship passenger dies from COVID-19 in Western Australian hospital

There are no Australians on the vessel or on cruise ship Magnifica, which is also anchored off the city and not allowed to dock, but does not have any reported COVID-19 cases.

A cruise ship that saw scores of Canadians quarantined off the coast of Japan still had traces of COVID-19 some 17 days after passengers disembarked, according to a new study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

A second cruise ship, the MSC Magnifica, which refuelled in Perth this week, is now in Western Australian waters after being refused entry in Dubai.

The ship boarded by zero Australian passengers with other 500 crew and at least 800 passengers on board.

But 800 Australians, including 200 locals, will be transferred to holiday hotspot Rottnest for 14 days of isolation.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said at the time preparing Rottnest as a potential quarantine site sounded nearly "ridiculous" to him, report local news site ABC.

Germany's Phoenix Reisen, owner of the Artania was not immediately available for comment.

McGowan fears a rapid spread of the coronavirus after authorities in Sydney allowed passengers to leave the Ruby Princess while tests were being conducted among a group of people that reported flu-like symptoms on board.

The government also banned most elective surgery to free up hospital beds and staff for a projected influx of coronavirus-infected patients. Some will need to be in intensive care.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has imposed social distancing measures and ordered many workplaces to close in his crackdown on large social gatherings through "stage two" coronavirus restrictions.

Victoria state premier Daniel Andrews said if the same long queues appearing outside offices of the main welfare agency, Centrelink, started forming at hospitals, there would be fatal consequences.

"I do not want any action taken further in relation to releasing any passengers off any boat in Sydney until we get a tick off from all authorities moving forward on new protocols", she said in a morning update.

"When they arrive, our guests will have been at sea for 13 days straight without disembarking", Mr Brazier said.

"WA Police are closely monitoring the ship to prevent people from leaving the ship", Mr McGowan said.

The decision came as a Perth man who had previously been on a cruise ship died.

He has asked the Commonwealth for immediate assistance with both anchored ships to ensure they do not try to declare an emergency to disembark.

While the federal Border Force is responsible for arrivals in Australia, it has attempted to blame the NSW health department for letting the ship dock without coronavirus checks.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]