Ontario to request military help for long-term care outbreaks

Ontario to request military help for long-term care outbreaks

Ontario to request military help for long-term care outbreaks

On Thursday, the federal government approved the request that the military be deployed to the hardest-hit homes.

CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan reports that Karla Ford's mother is now in an Etobicoke nursing home that has recently suffered the misfortune of five deaths due to the pandemic. His office later confirmed she has tested positive. One thousand have come forward as of Wednesday, he said, including around 350 doctors and 65 Forces members.

They were set to expire Thursday.

Earlier this month, the province said it would also be extending the ongoing state of emergency until May 12, 2020. "We had 144 infected homes but it's jumped to 128".

COVID-19 has accounted for 516 deaths among those Ontario long-term care home residents.

Premier Doug Ford vowed Thursday to strengthen the province's long-term care home in an emotional news conference the same day it was revealed that his 95-year-old mother-in-law has tested positive for COVID-19.

"As a society we have a moral imperative to improve our long-term care system and to allow our residents and staff to be treated with respect and dignity". "At the end of the day, the buck stops with me. We'll get there, and once we get there, we'll light a fire under the economy".

COVID-19 is most deadly for seniors and people with pre-existing health conditions, making long-term care a unsafe place for the virus to spread. "I believe this is the wrong approach and I will continue to advocate that the province urgently find a way to provide more detailed data on COVID-19 tests and cases to Toronto Public Health and other local health units".

Ontario has now a total of 13,519 cases, including 763 deaths and 7,087 resolved cases.

"We are making steady progress in our battle against this deadly virus, but we are not out of the woods by a long shot", Premier Doug Ford said in a statement.

There are now outbreaks in 132 long-term care facilities, or just over a fifth of the 626 homes province-wide.

As of 4:00 pm on April 21, Ontario is reporting 12,245 cases of the novel coronavirus in the province. It will address challenges and issues that are particular to people living in congregate settings like shelters for survivors of gender-based violence, children's residential setting, and residential homes supporting vulnerable Indigenous individuals and families.

Enhancing the screening of visitors, staff, and residents on sites, as well as restricting non-essential visitors.

The province has completed 207,040 tests so far for the virus. While case numbers are increasing, it does not appear that the rate of hospitalizations is increasing at this time.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]