COVID-19 Studies with Surgisphere Data Retracted

COVID-19 Studies with Surgisphere Data Retracted

COVID-19 Studies with Surgisphere Data Retracted

"In our hydroxychloroquine analysis, we studied a very specific group of hospitalised patients with COVID-19 and have clearly stated that the results of our analyses should not be over-interpreted to those that have yet to develop such disease or those that have not been hospitalised", says an excerpt from its statement.

"Our conclusion is that this treatment does not reduce the risk of dying from COVID among hospital patients and that clearly has significant importance for the way patients are treated, not only in the United Kingdom, but all around the world", said Martin Landray, an Oxford professor of medicine and epidemiology who co-leads the study.

"It doesn't work", Martin Landray, an Oxford University professor who is co-leading the RECOVERY trial, told reporters.

Its withdrawal is seen as a boost to backers of the decades-old anti-malarial drug, who include US President Donald Trump and his Brazilian counterpart Jair Bolsonaro.

Four medical experts who published a research that emphasised the dangers of hydroxychloroquine and induced the World Health Organisation to suspend clinical trials for the famous medication, have retracted their study.

From this database, the now-retracted study assessed data from 96,032 patients admitted to 671 hospitals across six continents.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization said that they would resume worldwide trial testing on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine after experts began publicly questioning the Lancet study.

"The Surgisphere database in the retracted Lancet study has been in the spotlight because of its size a" almost 100,000 patients".

In the days that followed, more and more reports highlighted a few huge issues with the study and a similar research paper co-authored by the same Surgisphere company.

COVID-19: WHO resumes study on Hydroxychloroquine
Article on Alleged Danger of Hydroxychloroquine Shown To Be 'Fake News'

A number of US physicians have come forward to say they have seen success in the prescribing hydroxychloroquine to COVID patients.

The Lancet said in a statement that it "takes issues of scientific integrity extremely seriously, and there are many outstanding questions about Surgisphere and the data that were allegedly included in this study".

Indian pharmaceutical companies, especially Ipca Laboratories and Zydus Cadila Ltd, are two of the world's largest manufacturers of hydroxychloroquine, and the hype surrounding the repurposed anti-malaria drug had led the two companies to scale up production to allow for sufficient inventories for domestic market and exports.

At that time Recovery Trial investigators had said there was no reason to stop enrolling patients for HCQ trial.

A separate study - the first scientifically rigorous analysis of the drug's potential to ward off the pathogen - showed earlier this week that the drug failed to offer protection to people at high risk of infection.

Hydroxychloroquine is safe for treating malaria, and conditions like lupus or arthritis, but so far no clinical trials have recommended it for use against Covid-19.

On May 25, the World Health Organization announced it had temporarily suspended the trials to conduct a safety review, which has now concluded there is "no reason" to change the way the trials are conducted.

Openshaw said the Recovery trial should be credited with continuing the research until they could reach a definitive conclusion on hydroxychloroquine.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]