Second PGA Tour pro tests positive for COVID-19

Second PGA Tour pro tests positive for COVID-19

Second PGA Tour pro tests positive for COVID-19

Nick Watney became the first pro golfer to test positive for coronavirus since the PGA Tour's resumption last week, necessitating the American's withdrawal from the RBC Heritage ahead of his second round.

McDowell tested negative for Covid-19 on Monday and played a Travellers practice round yesterday with Shane Lowry and Brooks and Chase Koepka before Comboy tested positive yesterday.

Koepka's younger brother, Chase, came through Monday qualifying to feature in CT this week, although the 26-year-old has since withdrawn as a precaution after playing a practice round with Brooks and Graeme McDowell - whose caddie Ken Comboy also tested positive.

He added: "I'd been through a huge amount emotionally and mentally, and a couple of weeks back into it after a few months off you're going to be a little exhausted getting your golf legs back. I think it's the right thing to do", World No.4 Koepka told Golfweek.

"The tour is doing a great job with all the things they have, the precautions we have to take", Johnson said.

McDowell, a February victor at the Saudi International on the European Tour, told Golfweek he planned to get tested Wednesday and fly home to Florida. "For any individual that does not, there will be serious repercussions, and I'm not going to get into the specifics of it", Monahan said from TPC River Highlands, site of this week's Travelers Championship.

McDowell and Koepka are the highest-profile names to withdraw due to coronavirus connections.

The RBC Heritage last weekend was held on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, also without fans.

"While my tests this week were negative, I feel like it is my responsibility to take care of my family and protect my peers in the field by withdrawing from the Travelers Championship", Simpson said.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]